The former child actor, who starred in classic films like The Goonies and Stand By Me, claims to have intimate knowledge of a pedophile ring operating in the upper echelons of Hollywood. While he doesn’t name names, he says he plans to. He claims to know six pedophiles currently working in the entertainment industry.
Haim’s mother, Judy Haim, spoke to The Hollywood Reporter about Feldman’s appearance on the Today show on Monday, Oct. 30, to discuss his $10-million fundraising campaign that will go toward making the exposé documentary.
“He’s been talking about revealing the names of his and other abusers for seven years since my son died,” she said. “Now he wants $10 million to do it? Come on.”
She continued: “It’s a long con. He’s a scam artist. If he was serious about this, he’d share the information he has with the police.”
Feldman has launched an Indiegogo campaign to help raise $10 million (a “flexible” target) to make a movie about his life. He wants to make the movie without the help of a studio so he can avoid censorship, and says that he will use the donated money to ensure the film gets distributed to theatres for wide release. So far, the campaign has raised just over $161,900.
WATCH: Corey Feldman plans ‘truth campaign’ to end alleged Hollywood pedophile ring
Haim’s opposition comes after Feldman said that her son was one of the victims of sex abuse in the industry.
According to Feldman, the late Canadian actor Haim apparently had it far worse than him. Haim, who died at 38 in 2013 after a decades-long drug addiction, was abused more frequently and more severely, according to Feldman.
“He had more direct abuse than I did,” Feldman said to THR. “With me, there were some molestations and it did come from several hands, so to speak, but with Corey, his was direct rape, whereas mine was not actual rape. And his also occurred when he was 11. My son is 11 now and I can’t even begin to fathom the idea of something like that happening to him. It would destroy his whole being.”
Allegedly, Haim and Feldman were abused by the same network of child predators.
Haim’s mom doesn’t believe there is a “pedophilic ring” that exists in the industry. She believes there is likely rather a series of isolated incidents involving much lower-level individuals.
“It’s disrespectful to sexual assault survivors and their loved ones in and out of the industry to get their hopes up about uncovering a massive conspiracy because he will not name names — ever,” she said. “And if these people really are out there, and potentially a danger, why wouldn’t he want to name them right now?”
“I don’t understand how the press that’s now giving him all of this attention isn’t getting it,” she said regarding his sit-down chat with Matt Lauer on Monday. “It’s all a distraction.”
Feldman took to Twitter to deny Haim’s allegations on Saturday. “U GUYS KNOW I DONT EVER SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT ANY1, BUT JUDY HAIM (no longer her last name) IS A BAD WOMAN WHO VEHEMENTLY PROTECTS EVIL!” Feldman wrote.
“SHE HAS BEEN CRE8ING DISTRACTIONS & DIVERSIONS SINCE HER SONS DEATH, 2 SHUN AWAY THE FEELINGS OF TRUE GUILT SHE MUST BARE! #BLASPHEMY,” he continued. “BUT U WILL C THE DARK SOULS CLAMMERING 2 SILENCE & DISCREDIT ME. ONLY GOD CAN SHOW U IN UR HEARTS WHAT THE TRUTH IS! NOT ABOUT $, NEVER WAS!”
Samantha Waranch, Feldman’s publicist, also told THR that some of the money from the campaign will go to providing security for Feldman, who feels like his safety is at stake because of people who are trying to silence him. “He legitimately fears for his life,” she said. “He has armed security with him right now.”
During his appearance on the Today show Monday, Feldman explained his decision, saying he believes “there is a lot of darkness in Hollywood right now, and it’s been there for quite some time.”
“It continues to unfold, new names come forward every day,” he said. “It’s going to continue unravelling. This is just the beginning. It’s just the tip of the iceberg.”
When asked why he needs $10 million when film students make movies on a budget every day, Feldman defended his project.
“It’s not a documentary, it is a film,” he said. “I want to make a feature film, which is why we need the budget that we need. There’s actors, there’s scripts, there’s special effects, visual effects. It will be a very true story. We will have every name — everybody that affected my life, I’m going to give the perspective that I can give, what I viewed, what I experienced, from a first-hand account.”
“We’re talking about a theatrical release,” he continued. “I’m going to self-distribute, self-market, make the film and hire a team of attorneys who are going to protect me and the film when it comes out.”
—With files from Chris JancelewiczFollow @KatieScottNews
© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.